Monday, October 26, 2020

Purchasing a refurbished Herman Miller chair

Q: So I’ve been looking into purchasing a new chair for a while now. I’ve been using my family’s 30+ year old kitchen chair as my computer chair for years now and am tired of the back pain I get from it. Through all my research I’ve come to the conclusion that Herman Miller makes the best office equipment that will help alleviate the pain I currently have. I am unable to afford a brand new Herman Miller so I’ve been looking into used/refurbished ones. What should I look for in terms of making sure I don’t get scammed and the chair is in as good condition as possible? Thanks in advance!

A:

  1. Research the models you are interested in. Know what kinds of adjustments they have, where the adjustment knobs and switches are located, and how the versions are different from each other. Also, have an idea of how to identify an authentic chair. Authentic chairs will have a date of manufacture sticker on the bottom, as well as logos stamped in various places depending on the model.
  2. If possible, go to a showroom and sit in the chairs. This might be difficult for you given the current circumstances, but it's an important step. I would've gotten an Aeron before I sat in a Mirra, and I preferred the Mirra so I got that instead.
  3. When you contact someone to make a purchase, ask them questions such as the age of the chair and what kinds of options the chairs have. If unclear, ask them to provide pictures.
  4. Eventually, you'll go see the chair in person. Make sure you have a list of things you want to check for. Are the options the same as the seller described? Is the piston action still smooth? Is the tilt mechanism underneath the seat pan dusty or well maintained? Does the chair creak when you lean back? Does the tilt tension work as expected?
  5. Be okay with walking away from a sale. Don't buy something that's in bad condition even if the price is "good." Trash is still trash.

I'll always prefer to buy a chair from a private owner rather than a refurb business. Chairs used in homes are usually much cleaner and in better condition. People tend to take care of their own things well, whereas refurbs are typically from businesses and not nearly as well maintained. If you check often on secondhand markets such as Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace over a period of time, you might find a really good deal from someone who is moving out or downsizing.

A: The first month you will hate the chair as it will make your back hurt even more. But that is only because your posture is bad. Get the aeron if you want a ton of replacement parts. Maybe try to buy a updated one.

A: If you want to get a look at an Aeron up close, visit any Wells Fargo branch. All of their financial services staff (ones who sit at desks not behind the counter) have Aerons.

A: see if there are any local sellers first so that you can test it out before you buy. i have lower back problems and i recently bought the Sayl office chair and it has great lower back support.

via Reddit

0 Comments:

Post a Comment